House Fire Caused by Careless Use of Smoking Materials

Contact:             Erick Gerritson

                             Assistant Fire Chief

                             (920) 322-3838

                             (920) 539-7071

                            egerritson@fdl.wi.gov

 August 26, 2018

 Media Release

 House Fire Caused by Careless Use of Smoking Materials

Fond du Lac, WIOn August 26th, 2018, at 2:18 a.m., Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue responded to 75 East Rees Street for a report of a house on fire. Upon arrival fire crews reported smoke and fire showing from the second floor window of a two story, wood framed residence.  Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to contain the heaviest damage to the 2nd floor bedroom.  

All residents safely evacuated the building although two were medically evaluated on scene and released.  Additionally, two family pets were also rescued for the residence. There were no working smoke detectors found in the home. The cause of the fire was determined to be careless use of smoking materials. FDL Police provided traffic control and scene management, Alliant Energies were called to the scene to secure the utilities.

Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue crews will be canvasing the area tomorrow to educate individuals on the importance of working smoke detectors and fire safety.

Share!
Enjoy the article so far? Recommend it to your friends and peers.

Fond du Lac Fire Dept.   920-322-3800
Copyright © 2018 http://www.fdlfire.com