Fond du Lac Fire Department Supports Statewide Carbon Monoxide Detector Awareness

November 7, 2014   Contact: Peter O’Leary, Fire Chief 920-322-3802 office 920-251-9806 cell   Fond du Lac Fire Department Supports Statewide Carbon Monoxide Detector Awareness   Fond du Lac, WI: With the winter heating season now upon us in Wisconsin, several fire safety advocates have teamed up to raise awareness of the law in Wisconsin which requires all that carbon monoxide detectors be installed in all dwellings where carbon monoxide may be produced including one and two family dwellings.   Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which if not detected early can render humans sick and in some cases, the poisoning can be deadly. “We encourage residents to have their gas fueled heating equipment serviced on an annual basis”, says Fire Chief Peter O’Leary. “Having working CO detectors on each level of your home will give residents the quick-warning they need in the event of a CO detected leak.” If residents suspect a CO leak, they should immediately exit the building and call 9-1-1.   The attached bulletin from the Wisconsin Fire Inspectors’ Association provides added information which media outlets can use to help get information out to the public. 

    Wisconsin Fire Inspectors Association Dedicated to the prevention of fire through Fire Inspection and Public Education       Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Not Just a Good Idea But The Law   Carbon Monoxide, a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is toxic to humans in concentrations greater than 35 ppm is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter. On average 170 people in the United States die every year from CO poisoning which is produced by non-automotive consumer products. In many instances individuals may become ill and require medical intervention. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, mental confusion and on high level concentrations include loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness and ultimately death.   Prevention of CO poisoning includes making sure that all fuel burning appliances are installed, vented and operating properly. In addition making sure all precautions are taken when devices may produce CO. One of the most important things that can be done is by installing a CO detector. This is so important that the Wisconsin State Legislation now requires installation of a carbon monoxide detector in all dwellings where carbon monoxide may be produced including one and two family dwellings.   As the cool weather approaches and we begin using our heating equipment, garage doors are kept closed when starting vehicles and fireplaces are started up, it becomes more imperative that we are more conscious about CO prevention and make sure that CO detectors are installed and operating properly. For more information on the installation and maintenance of a CO detector contact your local Fire Department or the Wisconsin State Fire Inspectors Association.   Thomas Wendt IAAI – CFI President Wisconsin State Fire Inspectors Assn.   Further endorsed by:   Professional Fire Fighters of Wisconsin   Wisconsin State Fire Fighters Assn.   Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Assn   .

Share!
Enjoy the article so far? Recommend it to your friends and peers.

Fond du Lac Fire Dept.   920-322-3800
Copyright © 2018 http://www.fdlfire.com